Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Breaking board week in martial arts

 TUESDAY'S CLASS:
In the summer there's a variety of activities each week and this week is breaking board. Yesterday's class, we practiced the moves in the form Common Peace of Mind 3 that could be used for breaking boards. For the board breaking, I decided to use one of the hardest in my level, elbowing. You actually hit with the forearm so it doesn't hurt. But when I go up, I put all my strength to it, but after 3 tries it is no use. I could have switched to hammer fist but I ended up doing the easiest, palm strike.During the elbow attempt, I skinned my forearm a bit.  When the black belts is going up, I was amaze with 2 girls. One smashed the board into 3 pieces, which is very rare. The other one did what I call it a cartwheel smash. You cart wheel once, when your foot is about to land, that's when it was suppose to hit, the first 2 attempts ended up with a miss, but the 3rd time was successful.

 WEDNESDAY'S CLASS:
Today, there are only 3 of us in the class, that's because the rest of them are having a Demo Team practice for summer celebration in Woodstock Fair.We used most of our energy to do push ups, sit ups, and providing power to the forms multiple times. Today, I chose either cross-over side kick, or hammer fist to smash it. The results were surprising & frustrating. Side kick did not break the board, neither does hammer fist. For my hammer fist, I skinned my pinkie, and I hit my wrist bone most of the time and it hurts a while after. By that point, I could hardly do it. I couldn't even do a palm strike, which I did perfectly yesterday in one shot. Well, our instructor told me that I stopped on contact. That's is one thing I would disagree on. I did tempted to stop, but I didn't. Also she fell back when I made contact with the board she's holding. I knew but experience that the board wouldn't break if she followed with the momentum, she has to hold firm if the board were to break. So I ended up doing a stomp, which takes hardly any energy with 1 board. So I'm feeling lousy for the rest of the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment